Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The Department of Pharmaceutical Services provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care services to Vanderbilt University Hospital (VUH), Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt (Children's Hospital), Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital (VPH) and The Vanderbilt Medical Group (VMG).
This patient-centered service is provided through the Patient Care Center organization and clinic structure. The role of the Pharmacy is to promote safe and effective medication therapy for all patients and to provide oversight and leadership of the medication use system.
Performs tasks within the pharmacy in direct support of the ongoing duties and responsibilities of a pharmacist with occasional guidance. Tasks performed contribute directly to the preparation and/or dispensing of a final dosage form for administration to a patient and are directly supervised by a pharmacist. Provides customer service by answering phone requests and triaging calls to the appropriate person if they cannot answer the requested information. Applies departmental processes regarding inventory control.
Assists the pharmacist in the preparation, dispensing and/or distribution of medications.
Performs activities as directed by Pharmacists &/or Pharmacy Managers in accordance with federal, state and local laws/regulations and hospital policies.
Delivers outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
Operates computer systems and utilizes technology.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Compounding parenteral nutrition for pediatric patients
Preparation of pediatric infusions
Preparation and delivery of medications for pediatric clinics
Ordering and maintaining pharmacy inventory
Compliance with USP 797 guidelines for sterile product compounding
Variable Monday-Friday: 0630-1700 and Weekends: 0700–1530
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUG PREPARATION, DISPENSING & DISTRIBUTION (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully review, prepare, dispense and distribute prescribed medications. Where applicable, this includes being proficient in the general principles and techniques of asepsis utilized to compound sterile preparations (CSPs) to minimize the risk of contamination.
DRUG INVENTORY & RECORDS MANAGEMENT (NOVICE): - Possesses fundamental proficiency working with drug inventory and records management. Demonstrates ability to maintain appropriate inventory levels of medications. Able to collect, organize and/or maintain evaluations of pharmacy or patient related information.
PHARMACEUTICAL QUALITY ASSURANCE & COMPLIANCE (NOVICE): - Demonstrates working knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations as they apply to the department and work areas. Maintains current understanding of rules and regulations and facilitates processes that support the application of various rules and regulations. Demonstrates knowledge of process improvement, quality assurance and/or programs. Understands the principles upon which the rules and regulations are based. Demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement and supports compliance with a federal, state and local regulations as well as organizational policies and procedures.
PHARMACEUTICAL COMPUTER LITERACY (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has demonstrated a basic understanding of computers or has successfully completed training for applications that are used to support medication use processes.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Healthcare, Dental and Vision Plan
Pharmacist License renewal and professional privilege tax
Flexible Spending Accounts
We encourage you to spend some time reviewing our site to see why Vanderbilt University Medical Center is one of the top places to work in Nashville — and the country.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.