Role Mission: The CNP Nutrition Manager assists in the development and analysis of healthy school menus that maximize nutrition, meal participation, and compliant with TDA in an effort to ensure that IDEA becomes the healthiest school district in the nation. Directly manages food cost and the USDA commodities entitlement to fully integrate in the menu and monies are depleted by annually by last day of school. Additionally, the CNP Nutrition Manager supports the CNP efforts for the district in the Healthy Kids Here initiative.
1. Ensure 100% of campuses meet the 80% breakfast participation, 85% lunch participation, and 10% snack or supper participation goal by last day of school Develop trainings on participation initiatives and best practices for campus CNP managers throughout the academic year. Monitor the weekly CNP dashboard to identify campuses with opportunities to increase student participation Conduct strategy, tactical and operational meetings with campus CNP managers to improve participation Hold campus CNP managers accountable for participation activities that drive goal achievement Develop standardized deliverables that campus CNP managers can use to drive meal participation including: parent, community and staff communication.
2. Ensure 100% District will maintain Gold status on the Healthy Kids Here (HKH) Checklist through LDOS Develops Healthy Kids Here initiatives in partnership with a cross-functional team composed of staff and community members. Leads efforts to increase student’s access to healthy and nutritious foods. Engageand educate our IDEA Team and Family including team members, parents, and students on health, wellness and nutrition. Direct efforts to develop cafeteria staff to achieve gold status in the HKH Checklist assessment. Assist with the HKH promotion for specific schools within the region Review menu recipes ingredients departmental job satisfaction survey results and develop strategy for continuous improvement Coordinate menu committee to review menu recipes improvements and execute innovating improvements by an alignment to our Healthy Kids Here initiative.
3. Ensure the district menu meets an average food cost for each region for breakfast, lunch, snack, and supper. Participates in and/or leads contract negotiations. Reviews and recommends changes to improve contract terms, conditions and procedures. Manages vendor maintenance and communicates with vendors on performance. Evaluate and select vendors that meet quality, price, timeliness, and delivery specification. Negotiate with vendors to ensure low prices and high quality. Ensure customer quality standards and requirements are consistently met. Identify potential vendors that can provide product or service as we expand to new regions Coordinate with the Nutrition team to remove or modify unpopular menu recipes to decrease food cost and increase student participation. Creates and manages menu cost analysis on a monthly basis to ensure targets are met for each meal service and each region in the District.
4. Ensure 100% of commodities entitlement is fully integrated in the menu and monies are depleted by LDOS Establish policy and procedures to fully integrate USDA commodities in the school menus Analyze commodities processed and DoD unit cost to maximize entitlement allocations. Coordinate with the Nutrition team to deplete commodity monies by the last day of school.
5. Ensures 100% of schools are fully operational by the first day of school Ensure menu is compliant, accurate and complete with nutrient analysis, recipe yields, menu pricing, order guide and schedule, special diets, and food production records. Ensure all CNP campus staff have complete nutrition trainings such as: meal programs offered in the district, commodities, order guides, order schedule, reading recipes, yield conversions, offer vs serve, food production records, special diet process, food and non-food orders, menu pattern per grades, and menu. Ensure all food and non-food orders are completed
6. Live values of IDEA Public Schools Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college Supports families through ongoing communication and support of their scholar Driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and language Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals Managing Others to Deliver Results – leads team to achieve measurable and ambitious results Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals Coaching & Developing – develops team through formal and informal methods; makes professional development a top priority Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
Degree in nutrition, culinary, dietetics, public health, business, marketing or related field. Licensed Dietician preferred. Registered Dietician preferred. ServSafe Certification preferred.
Ability to create menus, manage personnel, coordinate district functions, implement policy and procedures and interpret data. Ability to collect, analyze, and report departmental information. Planning, organization and follow up skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and sensitive to deadlines and changing environments. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation experience. Innovative problem solver with the ability to influence and create partnerships. Proficient with Microsoft Office software and menu planning applications. Have a working knowledge of HACCP. Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.
Minimum of three years of nutrition or food service management experience Experience with school nutrition is preferred.
Maintain emotional control under stress, prolonged and irregular hours. This position will require 30% travel.
Internal Number: 2
About IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools believes that each and every child can go to college. Since 2001, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves more than 45,000 college-bound students in 79 schools across four Texas regions and Southern Louisiana and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that thrives on the engagement of our alumni and community members as well as the financial support of individual donors, foundations, and friends of IDEA.